Last month was a bit hectic in the old hobby painting department, after I set myself a target of taking a fully painted army to a tournament at the end of September. So this month I shall be taking it easy, I still have some stuff I want to get done though.
I didn’t quite finish my second caster last month, Sorscha1, there is still a little work to do on her, same goes for the jack I was using too. So I want to complete those models.
I also wanted to have a model completed for Lost Hemisphere’s September Paint the Target. Unfortunately I didn’t even get round to starting my Widowmaker Marksman conversion. So this month I want to paint something for LH’s October Paint the Target, for that I plan to paint up Yuri the Axe. Continue reading →
The countdown is running there are 13 painting days left before my tournament at The Outpost, sadly I have a wedding to go to and an air show next weekend so there are actually less days available for painting. But I have managed to get some painting done over the weekend. I made a start on the following models:
Iron Fang Kovnik
The warjack has just had one or two base coats painted on so not much to show. The other models have progressed a bit more. The gold metallics are pretty much done. The fur trim and bear skins have been dry brushed, and just need a little touching up here and there. The red armour is mostly complete just needing a highlight or two to complete it. Unfortunately it has taken longer to get to this point than I hoped so I am not optimistic about getting all 10 models painted 😦
Anyway here is a quick picture of the work in progress Iron Fangs.
I have entered a tournament at the end of the month at The Outpost, it is my first tournament in probably 2 years, and I’d like to go with fully painted lists. I am going to be using my Khador. So what you might think, well here is the challenge; it is a 2 list 35 point tournament and all my painted Khador are on this site.
This is what is painted:
Black Dragon Ironfang Pikeman
Aside from the caster one of those is a character and so can only be in one list, so to get to two 35 point painted lists i need to paint about 20 points worth of models in about 2 weeks.
So ideally I need to paint these for my first list, Butcher1:
And then in addition to the above I need to paint these for the second list.
Of course depending how well I get on, or not, I might rearrange what I have in each list to enable me to go fully painted if my painting falls behind schedule.
Here is the starting point as of this morning, the jack, the bears, and the kovnik just barely started.
In my last post I had tried a new technique for weathering using a liquid mask. It didnt turn out quite as good as I had hoped, although at first I couldn’t put my finger on why. After some feedback I now feel I needed to control the placement of the mask a lot better.
The intention was to weather the front of the jack up to represent that battering that the jack would take with Khador’s enemies trying to destroy it as it marches across the battlefield. So I tried to concentrate the weathering on the closed up frontal armour however the reason I wasnt happy with the initial result was because the weathering was more patch work than i anticipated. That is to say the weathering isnt quite placed correctly to represent the jack taking damage from the front, this was pointed out to me via Twitter (thanks Alex). I did intend to adjust the weathering with a paintbrush, but in the end I just went with what was done and added to it with bright metal paint to represent newly chipped/scratched areas.
I how expect the jack will spend most of its gaming life, all closed up.
I experimented with a different technique for the weathering of the jack. I would normally use ‘the hairspray technique’ but I thought I would experiment with some liquid mask this time round. Continue reading →
Feels like a while since my last post, geez its over 2 weeks!
Unfortunately I have not been up to much hobby wise. Played a couple of games of WM in the league running at the gaming club I go to. Although I have been using Old Witch rather than Butcher1 for a change. I have enjoyed the change of play style between the two loads.
The rest of my time has been spent playing with footage from my GoPro, I have been out kayaking (twice in fact) for the first time since my son was born and although I have had the GoPro since before he was born this is the first time using it in anger so to speak. I had some corrupt file issues which I seem to have spent a lot of time trying to rectify to no avail. However my second trip out with it gave better results, although not the greatest videos you’ll ever see lol.
Anyway this is my Wargaming Hobby Blog not my paddling blog. So what’s on my painting table at the moment? Continue reading →
Well I have succeeded, I have manage to paint Butcher1 this month. I am really pleased with how he has turned out, but there is always room for improvement. Let me know what you think and leave a comment below. Finished pictures are at the end of my painting recipe waffling.
Axe Head Paint Chips & Scratches
In my last update I mentioned not being happy with how the axe head turned out, because I had painted the red at a different time to the rest of the armour I ended up with a brighter red on the axe than I wanted. In the end I didn’t really go back and fix the over vibrant colour, I actually added paint chips and scratches to the axe head. That seemed to work a treat and I am happy with the result.