I’ve had family staying over for a little while, so things have been a little busy for much on the hobby front. My youngest nephew is 10, so to entertain both him and my son (and lets be honest – myself), I broke out the good old X-Wing Miniatures game. While we were playing that on the kitchen table my sis-in-law, niece and wife were all colouring in. My sister in law is big into colouring in, and had inspired my wife to start it up again. So what I am I telling you all this for, well, it reminded me of a forum post that I had been meaning to have a go at doing for quite a while (as you’ll see from the forum dates) – using colouring pencils to weather the Falcon.
“OK, say hello to my little friend!” *
This post is about painting my Mayacast Masterglass Q4 Tagline entry: Scarface
I also used the TAG as my entry into the best painted miniature category at the NO 7 event back in November.
After posting my Pathfinder Dronbot up on-line, I got a lot of positive comments about the base it is mounted on. I figured I would do a small series of articles about how I go about making the bases for my Infinity models. This is the last of a series of 3 posts talking about my Infinity base toppers.
- “Basing my Infinity: Part 1“
- “Basing my Infinity: Part 2“
- Painting bases.
Hopefully I’ll show you how I went about creating the bases that I am using on my Panoceania models.
Mobius Strip II – M.C.Escher 1963
With recently picking up Infinity I have been looking around the internet for the usual suspects of digital medium with an Infinity content. First and most obvious was the Corvus Belli Infinity website and forums. Then I stumbled across DataSphere, a fan site with a decent amount of interesting content, and it’s associated forum. From there I have started listening to some podcasts, I am currently working my way through Totally Crit, which I am enjoying listening too.
In my last post I had tried a new technique for weathering using a liquid mask. It didnt turn out quite as good as I had hoped, although at first I couldn’t put my finger on why. After some feedback I now feel I needed to control the placement of the mask a lot better.
The intention was to weather the front of the jack up to represent that battering that the jack would take with Khador’s enemies trying to destroy it as it marches across the battlefield. So I tried to concentrate the weathering on the closed up frontal armour however the reason I wasnt happy with the initial result was because the weathering was more patch work than i anticipated. That is to say the weathering isnt quite placed correctly to represent the jack taking damage from the front, this was pointed out to me via Twitter (thanks Alex). I did intend to adjust the weathering with a paintbrush, but in the end I just went with what was done and added to it with bright metal paint to represent newly chipped/scratched areas.
I how expect the jack will spend most of its gaming life, all closed up.
But at the oppotune moment…
Quick update on the Devastator…
I experimented with a different technique for the weathering of the jack. I would normally use ‘the hairspray technique’ but I thought I would experiment with some liquid mask this time round. Continue reading
Feels like a while since my last post, geez its over 2 weeks!
Unfortunately I have not been up to much hobby wise. Played a couple of games of WM in the league running at the gaming club I go to. Although I have been using Old Witch rather than Butcher1 for a change. I have enjoyed the change of play style between the two loads.
The rest of my time has been spent playing with footage from my GoPro, I have been out kayaking (twice in fact) for the first time since my son was born and although I have had the GoPro since before he was born this is the first time using it in anger so to speak. I had some corrupt file issues which I seem to have spent a lot of time trying to rectify to no avail. However my second trip out with it gave better results, although not the greatest videos you’ll ever see lol.
Anyway this is my Wargaming Hobby Blog not my paddling blog. So what’s on my painting table at the moment? Continue reading
Repainting the Firespray-31
X-Wing is a fantastic game, easy to learn, hard to master, and part of its appeal is fully painted models. They are not bad either, I am more than happy with fielding them straight out of the box, and they look great on the table top.
This is me we are talking about here, and I like to tinker. So this is my first attempt at repainting a stock model, and I am going to repaint one of my favourite models in the game, the Firespray-31.
I just want a different looking Firespray-31, really that is all there is to it. I am very tempted to paint it to look like Kath Scarlet’s ship, but I really want to try some new techniques for me, and I am not sure I’ll be able to pull such a complex paint scheme off.
- I want to try some different sorts of weathering than I have used before.
- I want to use my airbrush as much as I can.
- I also want to try some OSL (Object Source Lighting) effects.
Here is the inspiration for my first X-Wing repaint; Fantasy Flight Games’ artwork for Kath Scarlet’s Firespray.