I was up early Saturday morning, sadly it wasn’t excitement of the new box arriving or the drive to finish painting my squad, but a trapped nerve in my shoulder I did a week ago. Still up I was, and so I took the opportunity to paint the Dark Angels (its my left arm that’s causing issues, I’m right handed, and the gentle manipulation of holding a model while painting it has actually helped keep the pain at bay – lucky eh!). First job was to finish off the bases, which I outlined in my last post. Then I moved on to the eye lens.
- I gave a the lens a base coat of VMC Ice Yellow, leaving a black border around the lens as best as possible.
- Using Citadel Blazing Orange (probably ~25year old paint pot – its a thin bright orange) I painted the pale base coat orange.
- I used a thin red ink (Scale 75 Inktense Red) to try and shade the lens a little.
- Tried my best to dot the lens with Ice Yellow.
After doing this I realised that the silver armour trim could do with a little highlighting. I used a nice bright silver, VMA Silver, to pick out the edges on the trim. I concentrated only on the head and front of the shoulder pads, and the two bands on top of the back pack. This was for speed, and because the head and immediate surrounding area are the focal point of the model. I tried a random criss-cross pattern to go along the edges trying to create a battle worn edge rather than a pristine edge highlight.Continue reading