I’ve had family staying over for a little while, so things have been a little busy for much on the hobby front. My youngest nephew is 10, so to entertain both him and my son (and lets be honest – myself), I broke out the good old X-Wing Miniatures game. While we were playing that on the kitchen table my sis-in-law, niece and wife were all colouring in. My sister in law is big into colouring in, and had inspired my wife to start it up again. So what I am I telling you all this for, well, it reminded me of a forum post that I had been meaning to have a go at doing for quite a while (as you’ll see from the forum dates) – using colouring pencils to weather the Falcon.
If I ever decide not to be an aeronautical engineer, I wonder if I could use my hobby skills in whatever job I end up in? Like cake decorating maybe…
Its my son’s birthday today, the wife and I decorated his cake last night. I am pretty pleased with how it turned out. Turns out my sugar craft skills are probably better than my greenstuff skills.
I had seen this simple conversion on the Warlord Games website and wanted to try it out myself – with my own little twist. It is the standard Bow/Yumi arms adjusted slightly to give a completely different look to the model. I have been undecided in what combination of models I wanted to build the bowmen/musketmen sprues. So to give myself some options for the future I decided to make one of my standard models stand out from the crowd so I could use him as a Sergeant of Archery if required.
There are no work in progress pictures for this model, just a brief description of the process and a series of pictures of the finished conversion.
Test of Honour requires token being drawn blind to determine the models activated. To do this it is suggested to draw the tokens from a bag or cup. My immediate thought was – ‘oooh can I find a Samurai/Japan/Far East themed dice bag for this?’
The last few days my spare hobby time has been taken up with assembling models for Test Of Honour. When I first opened the box and looked at all the components on the sprue, I have to admit I felt a little daunted. All those options! What would I build?!
I started on the force required for the first mission from the battle book. My previous post shows the first of this assembly spree. When clipping the parts off the sprue I began to think that these would be fiddley models to put together. However, I haven’t used hard plastic polystyrene models for some time and I had forgotten what an easy material it is to work with when building models. The mould lines (what little there were) were easily scrapped off with little effort. With the use of polystyrene cement even the most fiddly of two-handed weapon poses were simple to put together. Especially in comparison to the models like the old metal PP Steelhead Halberdiers. I have really enjoyed building these models.
Where the hell did March go?
I’ve failed to do any miniature hobbying for over an entire month now. I have a half written post on painting my IA stormtroopers from the back end of February. Three partially built and painted Zen Terrain Hab buildings that I was supposed to be painting up for the Mayacast 2017 Q1 Masterglass competition. I started those in January, got side tracked by IA models, and I’ve ended up completely failing to get those done for the deadline.
Still April is looking good so far. I’ve built some models, for a completely different game!
I thought I would write-up a little post about some terrain i did quickly for the tournament I went to back around Halloween. It was bought on a whim really, as i currently don’t have any gaming space at home…yet. The TO for the Halloween event asked if any of us had Objective Room scenery that we could bring. So I volunteered to get this built for the event rather than build and paint my own lists 😉 As I was pressed for time, I thought I would try to get it built and painted to an OK standard as fast as I could.