I’ve very slowly been making progress on my Reaver Titan. It seems an age since I started down the Solaria road, and it has – think it was last December I posted my mottled green armour test. Today I glued armour plates in place, and messed with the Solaria decal sheets to save having to freehand anything. Having done that I felt like I’d actually achieved something – enough to blog about at any rate.
Anyhow here are some pics:
The last few days my spare hobby time has been taken up with assembling models for Test Of Honour. When I first opened the box and looked at all the components on the sprue, I have to admit I felt a little daunted. All those options! What would I build?!
I started on the force required for the first mission from the battle book. My previous post shows the first of this assembly spree. When clipping the parts off the sprue I began to think that these would be fiddley models to put together. However, I haven’t used hard plastic polystyrene models for some time and I had forgotten what an easy material it is to work with when building models. The mould lines (what little there were) were easily scrapped off with little effort. With the use of polystyrene cement even the most fiddly of two-handed weapon poses were simple to put together. Especially in comparison to the models like the old metal PP Steelhead Halberdiers. I have really enjoyed building these models.
I recently got two Non Metallic Metal Paint sets for my birthday. It is a painting technique that I have never really tried, painting a metallic surface using solid non metallic colours by simulating the reflections of the metallic surface. It does look good when painted well, but looks off if painted poorly. This is my first real attempt at the technique and I thought I would post my thoughts on the two sets as I use them. Sounds like a review, but that implies I know what I’m talking about. No, this is more of a reflection of the NMM paint sets by an inquisitive hobbyist. Oh come on, you must have seen that pun coming at some point!
Why did i pick these two sets?
I decided I wanted to get some acrylic range rulers made for the game Guild Ball. My goal (haha i’m sooo witty 😉 ) was to make a set of useful measure guides fitting the most options into a single ruler as possible. So I set about designing a stick that could measure/guide the placement of models in a number of different situations. Sure they are a number of different manufacturers out there making measuring sticks (google image search). They all share a common design in that they a stick of a given lenght – no surprises there. I have a set of these for that. Other designs are such that you can place the template in contact with the ball or model’s base and then place the base at the opposite end of the template to achieve a given distance. Like the measuring sticks for X-Wing, measuring front of the base to back of the base. The issue with that is that you need a single ruler for each increment of distance you want.
So what have I done differently?
My birthday was back in July, and the wife bought me Khador’s latest character jack: Ruin
With finding the odd moment here and there I have finally managed to finish off the test Terminator for my Deathwing project. It took longer than it should have but that is real life getting in the way of hobby time!
I wouldn’t mind quite so much, if I had tried time consuming techniques (or ones that I find time consuming) but there is noting really challenging in this piece, which I hope will allow me to get a couple of Squads done at least.
Over the last week I have tried to grab a spare 10 minutes here and there to get some work done on my Deathwing Terminators. I have been using my airbrush, for two reasons really.
- Speed, although I am not very good at using my airbrush, it is far quicker than using a brush for putting down paint over the whole model. Time is a rare commodity at the moment, I’d probably still be painting the models dark brown now if I had used a normal brush with the limited amount of time I currently have for the hobby.
- Practice, I will only improve at airbrushing by using it.
Sadly this month has been a bit of a wash out hobby wise so far. I just haven’t had time to sit down and crack on with my painting.
I had a few goals I wanted to achieve this month, and currently not one is looking likely. But I’ll give a little run down of what has happened this month. Continue reading