If you’ve visited my blog before you may have already seen the post about the initial concept and build for my Guild Ball goal marker, and also the detailing and finishing touches post. This post not a step by step guide to how I painted my goal, more of a general description. Plus of course a load of pictures of the finished goal marker.
I recently got two Non Metallic Metal Paint sets for my birthday. It is a painting technique that I have never really tried, painting a metallic surface using solid non metallic colours by simulating the reflections of the metallic surface. It does look good when painted well, but looks off if painted poorly. This is my first real attempt at the technique and I thought I would post my thoughts on the two sets as I use them. Sounds like a review, but that implies I know what I’m talking about. No, this is more of a reflection of the NMM paint sets by an inquisitive hobbyist. Oh come on, you must have seen that pun coming at some point!
I was another year older on Sunday, perhaps not another year wiser though. My family tend to ask me if i want anything in particular and usually the first thing to spring to mind is the latest shiny metal toy (increasingly plastic/resin these days too). However its getting harder and harder to suggest models when invariably they just end up sat in a box partially completed. I feel bad about that, for example last year I was bought the Khador Warjack Ruin, and its still sat partially assembled in its box. In my head its verging on disrespectful to not complete a model that was bought as a present (Note to self: finish that model).
So this year I didn’t ask for a model. No, this year I asked for…
Well it’s the night before my first ever Infinity tournament: Northern Open 3, at Leeds. I have been frantically getting my stuff together, tokens, tape measure, dice, double checking my bag in general waiting for the last coat of matt varnish to dry on my models so they can be packed away.
I don’t expect anything much from my gaming ability, new game system, first tournament, zero list building experience, zero tournament mission experience. However I do hope I can give a good showing in the painting department with this little lot:
Sadly I never got round to even getting my last two models needed for the lists built never mind painted. But I’ll take them with me, so in between rounds I can at least get them put together. I am guessing I’ll have plenty of free time, having been slaughtered pretty quickly in each round.
Right better find out the directions for where I am going 🙂
This is my entry into the Data Sphere Forum’s Fall Painting Challenge. This quarter’s challenge was to paint a specialist of one form or another, my entry is a Panoceania Pathfinder Dronbot. This counts as Forward Observer specialist and for me makes a change form painting infantry, which my previous entries have all been.
I don’t hold out much hope of winning this quarter’s challenge as there are some outstanding painters on those forums. But I am very happy with how this model has turned out, especially given how little time I spent on it this month. Maybe I am starting to speed up in my painting 😉
Last month was a bit hectic in the old hobby painting department, after I set myself a target of taking a fully painted army to a tournament at the end of September. So this month I shall be taking it easy, I still have some stuff I want to get done though.
I didn’t quite finish my second caster last month, Sorscha1, there is still a little work to do on her, same goes for the jack I was using too. So I want to complete those models.
I also wanted to have a model completed for Lost Hemisphere’s September Paint the Target. Unfortunately I didn’t even get round to starting my Widowmaker Marksman conversion. So this month I want to paint something for LH’s October Paint the Target, for that I plan to paint up Yuri the Axe. Continue reading →
As you have seen in update 8 I have succeeded in painting Butcher1 this month. However somewhere I am sure I mentioned taking part in a slow grow WM league at my gaming club. The first part of the league is at 15pts mangled metal. So I have been playing Butcher1 with two Juggernauts and a Marauder. One of the guys at the club is playing Cygnar and his caster is Constance Blaize, I have played him twice and both times I have lost. The first time was my own stupidity, instead of killing the jack stood next to Butcher and winning by killing the battlegroup I charged Butcher1 into Constance expecting to wipe the floor with her. After whiffing all the dice rolls I was killed in the next turn. The second game against Constance, after Butcher1 was painted, I lost as she got a charge off on me and wiped the floor with Butcher. So in shame of being defeated twice (by an infantry caster in mangled metal format) I decided to take the chipped and battle worn look of the axe head and apply it across to the rest of Butcher’s armour.
Here is the result:
I admit I have not quite got the technique right for black armour (so much so I feel I have spoiled the paint job a little), but I am pleased with how the red armour turned out.
Well I have succeeded, I have manage to paint Butcher1 this month. I am really pleased with how he has turned out, but there is always room for improvement. Let me know what you think and leave a comment below. Finished pictures are at the end of my painting recipe waffling.
Axe Head Paint Chips & Scratches
In my last update I mentioned not being happy with how the axe head turned out, because I had painted the red at a different time to the rest of the armour I ended up with a brighter red on the axe than I wanted. In the end I didn’t really go back and fix the over vibrant colour, I actually added paint chips and scratches to the axe head. That seemed to work a treat and I am happy with the result.