Can I get a caster painted this month? Yes I can!
Well I have succeeded, I have manage to paint Butcher1 this month. I am really pleased with how he has turned out, but there is always room for improvement. Let me know what you think and leave a comment below. Finished pictures are at the end of my painting recipe waffling.
Axe Head Paint Chips & Scratches
In my last update I mentioned not being happy with how the axe head turned out, because I had painted the red at a different time to the rest of the armour I ended up with a brighter red on the axe than I wanted. In the end I didn’t really go back and fix the over vibrant colour, I actually added paint chips and scratches to the axe head. That seemed to work a treat and I am happy with the result.
- P3 Battlefield Brown was painted onto the axe head where I wanted a paint chip to be.
- GW Mithral Silver was painted inside the Brown chip leaving a dark line around the silver scratch.
- Mix of P3 Khador Red Base and P3 Menoth White Highlight was used to add a very fine line next to the outside of the brown chip. This was to represent the edge of the red paint catching the light as it was chipped off.
- Army Painter Strong Tone wash was used to tone down the brightness a little.
I added some freehand text to the inside of the coat. It says “For the Motherland” or it would do, but “therland” would be hidden behind his legs 😉 The paints used were:
- P3 Sanguine Base as a solid base colour for the inside of the coat.
- P3 Idrian Flesh to mark out the freehand on the inside of the coat, touching up the base coat afterwards.
- P3 Skorne Red mixed with Sanguine Base for highlighting the coats folds.
- P3 Moldy Ochre was traced over the Idrian Flesh text.
- P3 Red Ink mixed with a little Army Painter Strong Tone was glazed over the whole inside of the coat.
The axe blade (along with the axe shaft and the gun) is simply two colours. Although I am not great at metallics I do like to try to paint them. The way I have painted how the light plays across the blade isn’t perfect but its good enough for me. The colours were:
- P3 Thamar Black
- GW Mithral Silver
The black was used both as a thin wash and as a more opaque paint, it was also used to mix with the silver and darken it down a bit too.
The boiler received a bog standard wash and highlight treatment, although the smoke stacks were treated differently to try to simulate a heat tarnished exhaust.
Tarnished smoke stacks:
- P3 Cold Steel base coat
- P3 Radiant Platinum light, drybrush
- VMC Old Gold, light drybrush
- Foundry 43A Burnished Copper Highlight, light drybrush
- Foundry 43 B Burnished Copper, light drybrush
- P3 Thamar Black, light drybrush
Each successive dry brush covered less of the smoke stack until a touch of black was dry-brushed around the top for some soot build up.