My self imposed painting challenge for September has been to paint up enough models to enable me to field two fully painted 35 point Khador lists. The reason for that was so I could play at a tournament I went to on Sunday. I admit I haven’t had chance yet to take pictures of my models, so that’ll mean another blog post is still to come, this post is more of a mini tournament report. Continue reading
Monthly Archives: September 2014
September’s Painting Challenge: 8 days to go
So I have tried to fit in as much painting as I can over the last few days, and still have yet to finish a model!
Here is the current state of the 4 Iron Fang models.
Kovnik, had an accident and knocked off the axe. Had to fix some paint chips in the process. Still got the steals to do, and some work on the axe.
September’s Painting Challenge: 13 days to go
The countdown is running there are 13 painting days left before my tournament at The Outpost, sadly I have a wedding to go to and an air show next weekend so there are actually less days available for painting. But I have managed to get some painting done over the weekend. I made a start on the following models:
- Great Bears
- Iron Fang Kovnik
The warjack has just had one or two base coats painted on so not much to show. The other models have progressed a bit more. The gold metallics are pretty much done. The fur trim and bear skins have been dry brushed, and just need a little touching up here and there. The red armour is mostly complete just needing a highlight or two to complete it. Unfortunately it has taken longer to get to this point than I hoped so I am not optimistic about getting all 10 models painted 😦
Anyway here is a quick picture of the work in progress Iron Fangs.
September’s Painting Challenge
I have entered a tournament at the end of the month at The Outpost, it is my first tournament in probably 2 years, and I’d like to go with fully painted lists. I am going to be using my Khador. So what you might think, well here is the challenge; it is a 2 list 35 point tournament and all my painted Khador are on this site.
This is what is painted:
- Black Ivan
- Kossite Woodsmen
- Black Dragon Ironfang Pikeman
Aside from the caster one of those is a character and so can only be in one list, so to get to two 35 point painted lists i need to paint about 20 points worth of models in about 2 weeks.
So ideally I need to paint these for my first list, Butcher1:
- Great Bears
- Kayazy Eliminators
And then in addition to the above I need to paint these for the second list.
- Sylas Wyshnalyrr
- Widowmaker Marksman
- Ironfang Kovnik
Of course depending how well I get on, or not, I might rearrange what I have in each list to enable me to go fully painted if my painting falls behind schedule.
Here is the starting point as of this morning, the jack, the bears, and the kovnik just barely started.
Lets go bowling…
In my last post I had tried a new technique for weathering using a liquid mask. It didnt turn out quite as good as I had hoped, although at first I couldn’t put my finger on why. After some feedback I now feel I needed to control the placement of the mask a lot better.
The intention was to weather the front of the jack up to represent that battering that the jack would take with Khador’s enemies trying to destroy it as it marches across the battlefield. So I tried to concentrate the weathering on the closed up frontal armour however the reason I wasnt happy with the initial result was because the weathering was more patch work than i anticipated. That is to say the weathering isnt quite placed correctly to represent the jack taking damage from the front, this was pointed out to me via Twitter (thanks Alex). I did intend to adjust the weathering with a paintbrush, but in the end I just went with what was done and added to it with bright metal paint to represent newly chipped/scratched areas.
I how expect the jack will spend most of its gaming life, all closed up.
But at the oppotune moment…