Today I introduced my son to something new, the local games store! This is something that has recently opened up in Leyland; Rogue Games, and its only five or so minutes from home. I have only really just started using it. Its a really nice shop, nice and clean with a modern open plan feel to it.
I’d finished work early and as the Mrs was off out to celebrate her friend’s birthday, me and the lad got out from under her feet while she was getting ready. I took Josh down to Rogue Games with some X-Wing models, hoping we’d be able to play a game.
Painted! Gamed with, and defeated 😦
As you have seen in update 8 I have succeeded in painting Butcher1 this month. However somewhere I am sure I mentioned taking part in a slow grow WM league at my gaming club. The first part of the league is at 15pts mangled metal. So I have been playing Butcher1 with two Juggernauts and a Marauder. One of the guys at the club is playing Cygnar and his caster is Constance Blaize, I have played him twice and both times I have lost. The first time was my own stupidity, instead of killing the jack stood next to Butcher and winning by killing the battlegroup I charged Butcher1 into Constance expecting to wipe the floor with her. After whiffing all the dice rolls I was killed in the next turn. The second game against Constance, after Butcher1 was painted, I lost as she got a charge off on me and wiped the floor with Butcher. So in shame of being defeated twice (by an infantry caster in mangled metal format) I decided to take the chipped and battle worn look of the axe head and apply it across to the rest of Butcher’s armour.
Here is the result:
I admit I have not quite got the technique right for black armour (so much so I feel I have spoiled the paint job a little), but I am pleased with how the red armour turned out.
Also figured I would do a group shot of what I have painted so far for the PP Forum’s Tale of 2014, seeing as we are half way through the year. Continue reading
July Painting Challenge Forth Update
Following on with my updates of painting Orsus Zokatvir, the Butcher of Khardov, as mentioned in an earlier post. Here is the progress over the last couple of painting sessions. I say a couple of sessions but the first session was actually spent repairing some damaged/chipped paint as I knocked the model over when tidying up. I find it a really gut wrenching, depressing feeling when you are part way through painting a model and damage the paint work in some way. So much so I have been known on occasion to just give up painting that model there and then. However that is not the right attitude to have and so I spent the time repainting the chipped area to the best of my abilities. The model now looks ok, its only a really close examination of the area (coat) that shows that it was chipped right down to bare metal. Although I have noticed the paint rubbing off a little further away from the original damage, I must rest the model on my hand there when I am painting.
July Painting Challenge Second and Third Updates
In a previous post I mentioned my challenge to get Butcher1 painted up during July. I have managed to paint everyday since then but I missed yesterday’s update with the previous night’s work. So I’ll kill two birds with one stone and post up two updates in one post while watching the F1 British Grand Prix.
I have been putting in the time as much as I can the last few days because in a few days I expect the amount of hobby time I have to significantly reduce. Anyway here are some WIP pictures…
July Painting Challenge First Update
So in a previous post I mentioned my challenge to get Butcher1 painted up during July, along with my reasons for doing so. Well I figured I had better post a WIP picture of what I got up to painting wise yesterday and comment on my clubs first night of games for the Warmachine league they are running.