I haven’t played Warmachine in years, but I did some great painting and converting back when I played that game – in my own humble opinion of course! Now, out of the blue some one contacted me through the blog about one of my old Khador conversions:
My magnetised Khador Devestator/Demolisher clamjack.
The countdown is running there are 13 painting days left before my tournament at The Outpost, sadly I have a wedding to go to and an air show next weekend so there are actually less days available for painting. But I have managed to get some painting done over the weekend. I made a start on the following models:
Iron Fang Kovnik
The warjack has just had one or two base coats painted on so not much to show. The other models have progressed a bit more. The gold metallics are pretty much done. The fur trim and bear skins have been dry brushed, and just need a little touching up here and there. The red armour is mostly complete just needing a highlight or two to complete it. Unfortunately it has taken longer to get to this point than I hoped so I am not optimistic about getting all 10 models painted 😦
Anyway here is a quick picture of the work in progress Iron Fangs.
I have entered a tournament at the end of the month at The Outpost, it is my first tournament in probably 2 years, and I’d like to go with fully painted lists. I am going to be using my Khador. So what you might think, well here is the challenge; it is a 2 list 35 point tournament and all my painted Khador are on this site.
This is what is painted:
Black Dragon Ironfang Pikeman
Aside from the caster one of those is a character and so can only be in one list, so to get to two 35 point painted lists i need to paint about 20 points worth of models in about 2 weeks.
So ideally I need to paint these for my first list, Butcher1:
And then in addition to the above I need to paint these for the second list.
Of course depending how well I get on, or not, I might rearrange what I have in each list to enable me to go fully painted if my painting falls behind schedule.
Here is the starting point as of this morning, the jack, the bears, and the kovnik just barely started.
In my last post I had tried a new technique for weathering using a liquid mask. It didnt turn out quite as good as I had hoped, although at first I couldn’t put my finger on why. After some feedback I now feel I needed to control the placement of the mask a lot better.
The intention was to weather the front of the jack up to represent that battering that the jack would take with Khador’s enemies trying to destroy it as it marches across the battlefield. So I tried to concentrate the weathering on the closed up frontal armour however the reason I wasnt happy with the initial result was because the weathering was more patch work than i anticipated. That is to say the weathering isnt quite placed correctly to represent the jack taking damage from the front, this was pointed out to me via Twitter (thanks Alex). I did intend to adjust the weathering with a paintbrush, but in the end I just went with what was done and added to it with bright metal paint to represent newly chipped/scratched areas.
I how expect the jack will spend most of its gaming life, all closed up.
I experimented with a different technique for the weathering of the jack. I would normally use ‘the hairspray technique’ but I thought I would experiment with some liquid mask this time round. Continue reading →
Feels like a while since my last post, geez its over 2 weeks!
Unfortunately I have not been up to much hobby wise. Played a couple of games of WM in the league running at the gaming club I go to. Although I have been using Old Witch rather than Butcher1 for a change. I have enjoyed the change of play style between the two loads.
The rest of my time has been spent playing with footage from my GoPro, I have been out kayaking (twice in fact) for the first time since my son was born and although I have had the GoPro since before he was born this is the first time using it in anger so to speak. I had some corrupt file issues which I seem to have spent a lot of time trying to rectify to no avail. However my second trip out with it gave better results, although not the greatest videos you’ll ever see lol.
Anyway this is my Wargaming Hobby Blog not my paddling blog. So what’s on my painting table at the moment? Continue reading →
As you have seen in update 8 I have succeeded in painting Butcher1 this month. However somewhere I am sure I mentioned taking part in a slow grow WM league at my gaming club. The first part of the league is at 15pts mangled metal. So I have been playing Butcher1 with two Juggernauts and a Marauder. One of the guys at the club is playing Cygnar and his caster is Constance Blaize, I have played him twice and both times I have lost. The first time was my own stupidity, instead of killing the jack stood next to Butcher and winning by killing the battlegroup I charged Butcher1 into Constance expecting to wipe the floor with her. After whiffing all the dice rolls I was killed in the next turn. The second game against Constance, after Butcher1 was painted, I lost as she got a charge off on me and wiped the floor with Butcher. So in shame of being defeated twice (by an infantry caster in mangled metal format) I decided to take the chipped and battle worn look of the axe head and apply it across to the rest of Butcher’s armour.
Here is the result:
I admit I have not quite got the technique right for black armour (so much so I feel I have spoiled the paint job a little), but I am pleased with how the red armour turned out.