The UK has been in lock down for 3 weeks now, and on top of that I’ve also had a week of isolation so I’ve had 4 weeks of glorious hobby filled painting, right!?!?! Ahh well, as idyllic as it sounds spending all that time at home with family, reality is that I’ve had just as little time to myself as if none of this had happened. Yes, I can hear your snorts of laughter and groans of disbelief. I hold my hands up, I’m as staggered as you all at my apparent lack of progress.
The good news is, I have painted my garden fence panels…well until I ran out of fence paint (the wife says they need another coat).
“So what have I been doing worth writing about then?” I hear you ask…
My last two posts have been about the Ordo Sinister Warlord Psi-Titan. Sadly I’m still waiting for some Scibor parts to be delivered, so that is on hold. My last post also included the Warbringer Nemesis Titan I built and magnetised for Legio Solaria. So I can show you the progress on the Warbringer.
She has had a base made up out of various odds and ends; a cable tie, old epic base ruins, cork sheet, 3d printer scraps, sand, plasticard, copper wire, and even a left over nut cap from a swinging seat for the garden (the wife has had me doing plenty of garden stuff recently).
Painting has even commenced, spray primed black and then for the skeleton a heavy drybrush gun metal silver (GW Leadbelcher) and a black wash (AP Dark Tone), with a lighter drybrush of a bright silver (VMA Silver) for highlights, nice and simple and quick. I also picked out some of the skeleton’s panels in dark grey (VMC Black Grey) watered down a little thinner than I’d normally paint to show some of the metallic through and followed by a Dark Tone wash over the top – pretty much self highlighting/weathering in one go – well for the less prominent panels at any rate.
The mottled green armour panels follow the method I used on my Reaver Titan, see this post.
The red armour panels have been airbrushed VMA Fire Red, VGA Bloody Red, and then Bloody Red mixed with VMC Sunny Skin Tone. The panels have also had a few passes with Scale 75 Inktense Red to get a rich red look too (possibly too heavy handed there). I still have a way to go yet.
So you may have noticed a slight discrepancy in the above image. There are an awful lot of armour panels and guns that do not belong to the Warbringer. That’s because if I was going to be batch painting a host of red (and green) armour panels, I may as well make the batch worthwhile.
So in an attempt to bring the Warlord to the table top I’ve been painting her at the same time as the Warbringer. Obviously the same process was followed for both the Warlord and Warbringer.
The armour trim is painted with Scale 75 Necro Gold, which then has a quick paint with some AP Strong Tone. This really adds a dark aged look to the metal trim. Currently I’ve not done any highlighting of the trim on any of my titans – but it does need it.
Oh My God!!!! the trim a never ending chore!!! Next Titan Legio I paint had better have no trim to paint!
Naughtily I keep adding to the ‘batch painting’ I have to do, I’ve got a host of Titan weapon options to paint up. Some aren’t even built yet, and I am thinking they should wait till the Titans are actually done, I’m just concerned motivation will drop once the Titans are almost complete.
The Warlord has been in progress since August 2018 – how embarrassing – I need to complete her. I think the Imperial Hunters colour scheme has caused most of my perturbation in this project, I should have gone with my initial idea of Warp Runners. The Solaria scheme runs hot and cold with me depending on my mood 🙂
Here is a picture of the test assembly of the Warlord’s current progress.
Here is the same for the Warbringer. Its a funny looking beast at the moment with its leg armour missing, and poor camera angle.
I have plans to do some white stripes on both the Warlord and Warbringer. Thinking of having white stripes on the Warlord’s shin plates, and Warbringer’s knee or possibly shoulder plates. I just need to keep the momentum going on these Titans and get them finished.
Speaking of finished (well they aren’t yet but they are getting there) check out the last of my Solaria War-Nouns. The Warhounds which were started back in late 2018. The painters block has been to do with the Solaria scheme on all these guys, but I’ve pushed through it over the last few weeks, and its been good to see these getting close to the same point as the Reaver Titan.
Finally, here is the first to make it to near completion: the Reaver Titan.
Legio Solaria – Bringing the War; I’m now up to date with about 4 weeks worth of hobby time. Having got it all written down and photographed I have surprised myself with my actual progress.