Project Deathwing: update basecoat

Over the last week I have tried to grab a spare 10 minutes here and there to get some work done on my Deathwing Terminators. I have been using my airbrush, for two reasons really.

  1. Speed, although I am not very good at using my airbrush, it is far quicker than using a brush for putting down paint over the whole model. Time is a rare commodity at the moment, I’d probably still be painting the models dark brown now if I had used a normal brush with the limited amount of time I currently have for the hobby.
  2. Practice, I will only improve at airbrushing by using it.

You’ll see two acronyms in my paint names; VAC = Vallejo Air Colour, and VGA = Vallejo Game Air.

At the end of my last post, after reminiscing about old models, I posted this picture of the Dark Vengeance Terminator models; having been primed with black Vallejo Surface Primer and then basecoated VAC Medium Camo Brown.

wpid-imag1341_1.jpg

The next step was to give them a coat of AK Interactive chipping fluid.

akinteractivechippigfluid

Which was followed by VAC Dark Yellow.

wpid-imag1347_1.jpg

Three more colours followed, VAC Light Brown…

wpid-imag1348_1.jpg

Then VAC Sand…

wpid-imag1349_1.jpg

Finally VGA Bonewhite…

wpid-imag1350_1.jpg

Of course with those last 3 pictures, I’d forgive you for thinking I have just been rearranging the models. I am actually wondering if they are in the correct order! The photos taken in daylight with my phone don’t really show any colour progression after all lol. I think I have been too heavy handed with the airbrush. The idea was to have a progressive change in colour to save having to do much shading. Where as I have nice shadows the flatter areas of the models tend to now be one colour more or less. All part of the learning process though 😉

So what is the next step? Time to make use of that chipping fluid and have some fun weathering the paintwork.

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

One response to “Project Deathwing: update basecoat

  1. I would not worry about being to heavy with the airbrush. Deathwing are easy to paint and lightly drybrushing from a high angle(sun direction) will work a treat on them. The hardest part with Deathwing is the detail because its a contrast to the simple cream coat. Good luck.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s