July Painting Challenge Fifth Update
Yet another update for my painting of Orsus Zokatvir, the Butcher of Khardov, as mentioned in an earlier post. The last few days have not been very productive for painting, I have had family visits, a birthday, and a return to work after a period of time off.
However this evening’s painting was concentrated on Butcher’s face. The focal point of the vast majority of models is the face and as such you should take your time and paint it to the best of your abilities. This update is therefore all about how I painted the face.
July Painting Challenge Forth Update
Following on with my updates of painting Orsus Zokatvir, the Butcher of Khardov, as mentioned in an earlier post. Here is the progress over the last couple of painting sessions. I say a couple of sessions but the first session was actually spent repairing some damaged/chipped paint as I knocked the model over when tidying up. I find it a really gut wrenching, depressing feeling when you are part way through painting a model and damage the paint work in some way. So much so I have been known on occasion to just give up painting that model there and then. However that is not the right attitude to have and so I spent the time repainting the chipped area to the best of my abilities. The model now looks ok, its only a really close examination of the area (coat) that shows that it was chipped right down to bare metal. Although I have noticed the paint rubbing off a little further away from the original damage, I must rest the model on my hand there when I am painting.
July Painting Challenge Second and Third Updates
In a previous post I mentioned my challenge to get Butcher1 painted up during July. I have managed to paint everyday since then but I missed yesterday’s update with the previous night’s work. So I’ll kill two birds with one stone and post up two updates in one post while watching the F1 British Grand Prix.
I have been putting in the time as much as I can the last few days because in a few days I expect the amount of hobby time I have to significantly reduce. Anyway here are some WIP pictures…
July Painting Challenge First Update
So in a previous post I mentioned my challenge to get Butcher1 painted up during July, along with my reasons for doing so. Well I figured I had better post a WIP picture of what I got up to painting wise yesterday and comment on my clubs first night of games for the Warmachine league they are running.
So this is yet another of my old tutorials that are no longer on the web, and hence getting republished on my new blog.
Modernising the Mortar
Mortars have existed for hundreds of years in the real world,don’t believe me go look at wikipedia. The Khadoran mortar resembles the early style of portable mortar (link or link), and while I recognise that the Iron Kingdoms’ history and technological advancement is not meant to mirror that of our own history, I would like my Khador light artillery to have developed a little further than depicted by their models. So with that idea in mind I want to make my Khador Mortar represent an Iron Kingdoms version of a more modern mortar (link). Continue reading
July Painting Challenge
Well it seems like a good idea to set myself a challenge this month. There a a few reasons for this which I’ll go into in a minute. However the model i have chosen for this month is a Privateer Press model from their Warmachine range:
So why am I going to do this?
This article was written back in 2012 and was originally published on another website that seems to had died a death, but I wanted to republish the article to share with everyone.
The Steamroller rules pack has a number of scenarios that require players to fight to control certain points on the table. These points are represented in game by zones, flags, and objective markers. I want to talk about actually representing them on the table, and I’ll show you what I have done for my flags and objectives to use with my Mercenaries.
Khador Devastator magnetised to have an opening armoured shell and be swapped out to a Demolisher, see the other pic.
Khador Demolisher magnetised to having an opening armoured shell and be swapped out to a Devastator
Welcome back to the second part of my Iron Fang Pikemen article. Previously I showed you how I went about replacing the Pikemen’s pikes with brass rod, now I will show you my second method where I replace the pikes with brass tube.
Method 2: Brass Tubing
The idea is the same as the previous method but this time replacing the pikes with tubing. The reason for the tube is because the outside diameter can match very closely with the diameter of the pike shaft. However the internal diameter is smaller allowing you to use a smaller drill bit to drill through the hand and not have to remove material from the hand to avoid a step in the shaft as described in step 6 of method 1. The end result is to have a much thicker looking shaft to the pike. A comparison of models using each method can be found towards the end of this article.